So Stinkin' Cute (with an emphasis on the stinking'...)

....







For the first time since we've lived in our house, skunks are regularly visiting our yard.  




They typically show up around 4pm.  Sometimes there's one, sometimes two.  They're juveniles, but are clearly able to fend for themselves.  They're quite tiny, more tail than body.  Their fur is glossy and lush.




Skunks have notoriously poor eyesight, and are incredibly shy and gentle.  I've been spending my twilight hours out in the garden, watching quietly.  I'm enchanted by these sweet creatures.




Robb may have his own opinions on our crepuscular visitors, but he's too polite to share them with me.




The skunks seem to be foraging for worms and insects.  They industriously snuffle around in the grass, and will dig in the first inch of our soil.  I suspect they're eating any bees they find crawling on the ground.  They tend to hug the perimeter of our yard, and stay under cover as much as possible.

The chickens and cats and I give the skunks a wide berth.  The western scrub jays, on the other hand, give them the stink-eye.  I imagine they resent the fact that someone else is eating bees.




Unfortunately, my neighbors' little chihuahua had a run-in with one of the skunks this weekend.

Tomato sauce did nothing to alleviate the smell, and in fact Dobby was keen on eating the skunk-scented bath-sauce.

My poor neighbors.

Comments

K said…
There's a recipe out there with hydrogen peroxide, dish detergent and something eller that I've heard works well to get the smell out.

Popular Posts