"...that knits up the raveled sleeve of care"





Despite spending a huge amount of time and money with our wonderful vet, we were not able to reverse Cardigan's kidney failure.  We brought him home for a few last days and then engaged the services of a mobile euthanasia service.  This was both wonderful and heartbreaking.




I spent the next few days working on a very meticulous sewing project, to distract myself from my sadness.  If I focused on matching up stripes, I wouldn't have to think about how much I missed my sweet little cat.

Normally I sew like a sedated sloth, but this one -- which I sewed from a 1940s pattern -- came together very quickly.  




Few things make my brain happier than nicely matched patterns.  I really needed this.  (And no, the tops and the skirt are not meant to line up.)




I still need to find someone to help me mark my hem.

There's something about making things that really helps heal grief  As the sage of knitting, Elizabeth Zimmermann famously said "Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either."

Comments

Anonymous said…
I have been checking your blog daily to hear an update on your sweet cat. I am sorry for your loss. It hurts so when a pour baby dies. Hugs. Deborah
Anonymous said…
I have been checking your blog daily to hear an update on your sweet cat. I am sorry for your loss. It hurts so when a fur baby dies. Hugs. Deborah

Popular Posts