I don't think my previous photos really showed the condition of the plaster tile board in our bathroom. Most of it is in remarkably good condition. But the parts that are bad, are really bad.
Luckily, I have a lot of experience repairing this sort of thing. I'm taping around individual "tiles" so as to maintain the grooves in the plaster that represents "grout line." Then I'm applying an ever-so-thin coating of schmoo, which is a mixture made of joint compound, white latex paint, and white glue. I'm smoothing it on with a rubbery kitchen spatula.
It's not difficult work. But it can be a bit tedious. Because of the need to mask, I can't do all of the wall in one pass. And, of course, I have to wait for each section to dry before I can stick masking tape on it.
Robb and I can't believe we put up with the squalor in our bathroom for so long. And, of course, things look way worse now than when we started. I just have to have confidence that this part of the project will make things look appreciably nicer.