A whole new meaning to the phrase "Online Shopping"

...




First of all, I want to thank everyone who offered advice on procuring wooden utility poles, and rusty corrugated metal. I've learned a lot about both in the past week.

Did you know that in California, all wooden utility poles are required to be chemically treated, to resist the effects of weather. The problem is that the chemicals that were used for years are now understood to be hazardous to human health, and must be disposed of as toxic waste. After a series of long and educational telephone conversations with people in the timber industry, we were directed to a source of untreated, aged pine telephone poles. The pole we bought was relatively inexpensive, and will be delivered to our shop in a day or two. Awesome.

Maybe I'll write about our Adventures in Scrap Metal another time. That's quite a story, too.

So, what does Lisa want this time?

Today, we're looking for freaky Granny-ish linoleum or vinyl tile, the uglier the better.

Is anyone renovating their kitchen? We'd love to come pick up your larger scraps of weird-looking flooring.

Ideally, what I'm seeking was made between the 1920s and the 1950s. It should have a big, loud pattern, and if it's in rough shape, that's perfect.

Comments

Anonymous said…
For God's sake, Lisa and Robb- You CAN just call up the Amazing Home Makeover show to get your house fixed up! You don't have to beg for house fix-up supplies online like this! Put NEW stuff in your old house, not rusty scrap metal, not old telephone poles, not old crappy asbestos-filled kitchen linoleum!

For God's sake- I'm pleading with you- this is usually the stuff people PAY to have removed from their landscapes!

On the more local level, I just was certified the local Jackson township Auditor of my area. I won the election, by being the only person to vote for myself! What a nail-biter of an election, I won by one vote! Apparently I make sure there are no hijinks occuring at the election booth on the day we are allowed to vote. God bless America! Let's roll!

Annalisa
Megan said…
Oh, man, have I got the linoleum for you! About 10 years too late, unfortunately. The house where I spent the last few years of my childhood was built in the 1920s, and then remodeled in the 70s by owners who clearly had serious aesthetic issues. We won TWO separate ugly wallpaper contests from what they'd left on the walls. When a kitchen fire (faulty wiring) meant we finally had reason to remodel, we discovered they'd artificially LOWERED the ceiling by about a 18" (why?)...oh, and we finally stripped away the linoleum my folks and I had previously agreed was some of the ugliest stuff we'd ever seen, only to discover they'd laid it directly on a hardwood floor. Actually, they did it twice -- the kitchen was a faux red brick linoleum over a wood floor (which we refinished), and the bathroom had some nasty yellow linoleum over lovely tiles (that we weren't able to save).
Why do people do such things?
That said, I hope you find the Mistakes in Home Ownership that you're seeking.

Popular Posts