Getting My Feet Wet (Revisited)

Since buying the house, my usual exercise/rehab routine has been radically interrupted. I'm just now starting to get back into the pool but it's slow going.

I guess I didn't realize what a fixture I've been at the Berkeley YMCA pool for the last couple of years. The other day, after a six week absence, I was greeted and welcomed back by all the other regulars who swim on the same day and time.

Most of the people I know there are about 20-40 years my senior and maybe take a motherly/fatherly interest in me. It seems my hiatus was the subject of some speculation.

The theories on my absence corresponded with what each person knew about me: people who knew about my accident, limitations, etc., assumed I was recovering from a surgery or something. Many knew I had bought a house and surmised correctly that I was busy with that.

One lady, who had met my mother, just assumed I was in New York visiting her. (Miriam said to say "hi" Mom) And one of my friends there decided that I had the Swine Flu.

It's nothing to do with me; lately this lady assumes everyone has the Swine Flu. If you inhale a little water while swimming and start coughing, she will render a diagnosis as soon as you're out of earshot. "She should have that checked... could be Swine Flu."

It's good to be back.

Comments

The Gillespie Tribe said…
It is always nice to be missed isn't it?

I find it totally funny how some people are overreacting to the swine flu... of course, if the news reported the regular flu like the swine flu everyone would freak out like this every year, as it is really not that much different.

Glad to hear you are getting back into your regular routine... and congrats on the house once again!

Cheers!
Rhea
Anonymous said…
I love gossiping old Bettys!
-Jen of MLM
Anonymous said…
Well, I know you guys have been getting foundation work done... I would have thought the house fell on you!

Glad to hear it wasn't swine flu- it's a real bummer to so unorigonal- apparently according to your pool-mate, EVERYONE has it now. How boring!

By the way, how did your house and yard hold up with all the rain? Every spring our basement becomes a swimming pool. GRRRRR...

Annalisa

Popular Posts