De-Crappifying Our Life

...



I'm still trying to pare own our possessions. I've been trying to get rid of the things that we never actually use.

Yesterday, I had another whack at our bookcases.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm an indifferent house-keeper. I'm also horribly allergic to household dust. While sorting through our books, I vacuumed off the dust that was on top and behind them, and I got a snoot-full of allergens. (Tell me this: Do other people vacuum behind their books? Am I a slacker for not ever doing this?) Twenty-four hours later, I'm still itchy and swollen puffy-red, despite the use of antihistamines.

Personally, I find it a cruel irony that I am "punished" for my forays into dusting.



The photo above was taken by Robb, on the front steps of our local library.
We did not ditch these books, or leave the note which reads,
"Complete set except missing 2 volumes letters "N" and "O, P."

...

Comments

jacqui pomeranski said…
i wonder where n and o,p are... this worries me... are they wandering the streets, homeless books in the rain?
de-crappifying is such a joy... it occurs every time i move...
which is a lot...
and no, i don't dust behind my books... until i empty the shelf for some reason...
ArtGekko said…
I subscribe to my mom's theory of dusting the house. With kids and cats, the main surfaces aren't left alone long enough to gather dust (thought they do get scratches and fingerprints that have to be dealt with).

For other surfaces, if you never move anything, no one will notice the dust! :)

I rarely vacuum for dust, as is just stirs it up, in my experience. I use furniture polish on a rag or paper towel to "grab" it instead.
Mama Bear said…
Feeling your allergy pain here. Every time I do a Serious Cleaning (meaning, whenever my mother is coming to visit) my asthma and allergies get so aggravated that I usually end up with bronchitis!
Baqash said…
one method to decrappify is to move into a much smaller space. no choice then
Jennifer Kyrnin said…
Aa another indifferent housekeeper, I can't say whether you should dust behind your books. I never do... ;-)

We bought a house 50% smaller than our previous house (literally - from like 2400 square feet to 1100). I thought that would help me decrapify... Of course, the first major purchase I made was an outbuilding to house all my books - it's my "library". Yes, I built a second house for my books because my primary house was too small. [sigh] I know I should join some recovery program.

I figure that being allergic to dust is the universe's way of telling me not to dust.

Popular Posts