I've been knitting a large project, but ran out of yarn. I've been so busy at work, working such long hours, that I hadn't been able to get to the yarn store until this weekend.
But that's okay, because I've been trying to actually use all those yarns (and other art materials) that have been cluttering up my life. Instead of going shopping every time I get a new idea, I'm trying to look at what I already own with fresh eyes. With that in mind, I recently made two fun little hats.
The first is for my niece. Adults can be so conservative about the colors of their clothes, but kids are much more free. While I was in France, I was actually considering trying to cram myself into some of the cute clothes we saw for older kids. (I'm slim, right?)
This hat is really clever. It is formed from three panels that all top out with a triangular shape.
For those interested, the pattern is available for free, here. I followed a few suggestions for modification, here.
I had so much fun making the first hat, that I made another one for Robb. But because I always have to try to find new ways of doing things, I used a totally different stitch pattern (here).
I had the hat completely finished when I decided that it really was too pointy on the top. I went to sleep pondering my options, and solved my problem in my dreams. I added a few more decreases right at the crown of the hat to make it less pointy, and more head-shaped.
And of course, I finished it on the warmest day we've had in ages, so the new hat stayed home when we went cycling!