Mending

....



During this period of pandemic lockdown, I'm finding a lot of comfort in mending.  Usually, the things that need repair languish on the Pile of Denial.  It's nice to be mending when so many things in our world seem deeply broken.

Robb had done a bit of darning to a particularly threadbare section of our linen sheets, but his repairs did not hold up to laundering.





I found a remarkably well-matched piece of linen in my fabric stash, and created a neatly hemmed patch.





I cut away the weakest fabric.  There seemed no point in trying to salvage fabric that was shredding when I touched it.





I lightly stretched the fabric in my quilting hoop, and carefully hemmed the raw edges.  (I sort of love how this looks.)





I pinned the patch into place, trying to avoid distorting the weave of the underlying fabric.  This made a sort of fabric sandwich, in which the hemmed sides were on the inside of the stack.




Not perfect, but so much better.  We'll see if this withstands the rigors of the next trip through the washing machine.

Comments

Popular Posts