more than a sore throat

...




While Ellen was visiting, I was coming down with a cold. At the time, I didn't realize that I was getting sick, but I was aware of being crankier than I had any right to be. Sorry Ellen. Sorry Robb. Please forgive me for being weird and fussy and impatient and out-of-sorts.

So, now I've got a full-throttle case of laryngitis, and a really miserable cold. I can't talk, and I don't really have the energy for conversation, anyway.

In between bouts of coughing and dozing, I've been doing a bit of reading, and thinking about how fortunate Robb and I really are. Being sick is no fun, but every single time I take a sip of lemony water or tea, made with the lemons off of our tree, I have to smile.

(I've been drinking a lot of lemon juice ... I wonder how long the lemon harvest will last?)

Robb and I live in a beautiful place, with access to great food. We're able to cook from scratch, every single day. Most of our food comes from local farmers, relatively bearby. We are very fortunate, indeed.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I suggest you take so many vitamins until your urine is brilliantly yellow. That may help you recover. That's about the extent of my medical knowledge.

Also, enjoy your citris fruit- as Florida will probably loose all of theirs, and you can sell what extra you grow in your own yard and make a bit of scratch.

It's cold here tonight- 7 degrees. It's still 27 degrees ABOVE what we used to get in Detroit!

Annalisa
Emily said…
We have lived in our house (in the South Bay) for over 11 years and I have never once seen our lemon tree without fruit on it, no matter the season- I hope yours is as prolific as ours!
Unknown said…
The Regent Hizzle's lemon tree, and Suzie's next door were always dripping with fruit. They were Meyer lemons--I don't know if that makes a difference--so they were amazingly sweet and mild. I used to just peel them and eat them like oranges.

My rosemary shrub is pretty hardy, but aside from that there's nothing really edible in my garden. I'm working on it--as soon as the ground thaws I'm going to try my luck with some tomatoes and maybe some lettuces. Might be fun!

Popular Posts