But Seriously...

...



The inauguration of President Barack Obama was a beautiful and moving event. The image of a brilliant young African-American man, advancing toward the Presidential podium, flanked by two powerful women (Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi and Senator Dianne Feinstein) still makes my heart swell with joy, and my eyes swim with tears. I'm old enough to know that there was a time in American history that the very idea of such an event would have been met with scorn and derision.

Obama's inaugural address was about as good as it gets. Eloquent, mature, responsible, conciliatory.

I am sure I will not agree with every action of our new administration, but I wish them well. (And how can I not be delighted by what Nancy Pelosi said would be the four objectives of the current government -- "Science, science, science and science" ?)




I grew up inside the Washington Beltway. And I can tell you that I haven't seen a photograph yet that expresses how huge this crowd was. Let's hope that all these people were fired up by the President's call to national service and personal responsibility. And let's hope that they all had a wonderful time at the inauguration and were wearing really warm socks!

Comments

Anonymous said…
There will be no photo that covers it--I was there and there were 10s of thousands of people "turned away" for a) lack of space on the Mall and/or b) lack of ability to get around all the other people trying to find a route to the Mall (metal detector lines and fences everywhere cut off access). I gave up and watched it from a friend's apartment at 8th & A SE.

Nonetheless, yippee!
cath said…
(agree)

Popular Posts