Californians -- Vote Against Discrimination

...



I strongly believe that when two people love each other, they should be allowed to make a life together. If one of them becomes gravely ill or suffers a serious accident (like -- oh, I don't know -- a spinal cord injury), their partner should be involved in making decisions about their care.

I have been appalled by all the specious arguments offered against giving gay couples the same civil rights as straight couples. Since California legalized the rights of gay couples to marry, the institution of marriage has not imploded, people have not started marrying their dogs, schoolchildren have not been forced "become gay" or taught the "gay agenda" (whatever that is supposed to be).

I hope that all blog readers will vote in the upcoming elections, and that you will all make informed, thoughtful choices.

And if you are a Californian, I would like to urge you to vote against bigotry, and vote for offering equal rights to all people, as is already codified in our state constitution. ("All people are by nature free and independent and have inalienable rights. Among these are enjoying and defending life and liberty, acquiring, possessing, and protecting property, and pursuing and obtaining safety, happiness, and privacy.")


Comments

slick kitty said…
My husband and I will be voting No on Prop 8. We are probably the only ones in Redneck Lassen County but our vote still counts statewide. For me, it boils down to a matter of rights for minorities. I, as a "minority", (despite our population, and yes I hate that term)believe we need to stick together to ascertain "all rights" that the "majority" have. Equality. It's what I want for my children and it's what I want for everyone else.
Marissa Dupont said…
Hear hear! :)
Thanks, Lisa. If I was still registered to vote there, I'd be voting a big fat NO.
Anonymous said…
I feel exactly the same way. My thought is "what business of mine is it who marries whom?" NONE.

& the thought that they need to "protect the santity of marriage" well, over 1/2 of all marriages end in divorce, what exactly are they trying to protect? Maybe they are worried that gay couples would show us up with staying power? lol

Voting no is the right thing to do.

Popular Posts