Wiped Out!

...



I'm exhausted! After getting up far, far too early to catch the super-low tide this morning, I went out cycling with Robb this afternoon. And then we did our civic duty, and voted in local elections. (This wasn't tiring at all. I love our local polling place, it has the best dinosaur carpet you've ever seen!)

Robb is fast asleep on the couch, and it is just after 8pm. I'm going to make him go to to bed, and then join him.

Most of the tide-pool photos will have to wait for another day. For those of you who can't image what tide-pooling is all about, here's a photo of what the ocean reveals when the tide goes way out. A sea anemone closes up around the mussel it was eating, and waits for the water to come back. This particular seaweed was the most prevalent on the rocks, but there were many varieties of seaweed, some of which was very very (scarily) slippery. Also slippery are exposed anemones. It is virtually impossible to avoid walking on them, and when taking photos, it is quite difficult to not put your knee of hand on some living creature. I keep telling myself that the force of my footsteps is less than that of the crashing waves of the Pacific Ocean.




However, if you were to have been following me out on the rocks, you would have heard me apologizing to the creatures I may have been stepping on. I tend to apologize in advance of doing any actual harm.




Sheri took the photos of me. She and I stayed a little too long out on the rocks, and actually had a bit of an adventure, coming back in. We were watching the ocean-side of the water, without realizing that the water was filling in around us, on the shore-side. When we caught on to the fact that we were getting cut off from the shore, we hurried back inland. But in some areas, the water had become so deep that it was above the level of our boots. Even after dumping out our boots, and wringing out our socks, the walk back to the car was a very sonic one, with all sorts of squishes and squelches and lots and lots of laughter.

Comments

Cinderellen said…
I guess we're even: I envy you your tide pooling. Some day I will live near the shore, I hope.
Troop 2440 said…
Looks amazing! Don't feel guilty. Couples need separate time, no matter the circumstances.

Glad you had a good day outdoors instead of inside cleaning!!!
Anonymous said…
Makes me think of the time my hubby and I sat on a rock in Acadia Maine and had some wine and cheese and watched the sun set. Packed up only to realize that the tide had come in around us and we were up above our waists in water getting back to shore. It couldn't have been the wine....

Bandaid
Anonymous said…
One time at Monteray's breakwater, I was out on a bunch of rocks and I had only been there for all of two minutes and the tide came in without me relizing it and I was soaked!
Anonymous said…
Just think, if it weren't for letterboxing I wouldn't even know what a nudibranchia *was* (thanks Paul in SF). Your friend's flickr fotos are fabulous!

Well last time I got stranded by an incoming tide, in Kauai, I thought I could escape by climbing a cliff and walking across a small field. There there were all these really, really big seagulls sitting on enormous eggs.They were definitely giving me the evil eye,especially when I tried to shoot some pix; and I was imagining that scene from The Birds.

When I finally fought my way through a barrier of eelgrass and barbed wire and emerged from the site, I turned around and saw a sign: I had just trespassed all over the endangered albatross nesting site, risking thosuands of dollars in fines. But I got some great pix LOL.

Popular Posts