Everybody! Into the Pool!

...



On Wednesday, both of the scene shop inters, Sheri and Mik worked on the Oiled Wildlife Response Team. Sheri and I worked in the pool area, and Mik was part of the construction crew. As part our many duties, Sheri and I transported birds between drying pens and rehab pools. I loved watching Sheri do this, because while you could see that she was being very, very careful, there was always an tiny but awesome smile playing across her face. I don't either of us can believe that we are actually caring for wild animals.





Mik helps assemble three therapy pools, and worked on designing and building the support structure for another series of enclosed warm tanks. This is one of the pools that Mik and the construction crew put together.

The pools were an instant success with the birds. As soon as the little eared and horned grebes were placed in the pool, they started a healthy, happy frenzy of grooming and cleaning.









Everyone was completely charmed by this.




You know that expression, "Birds of a feather flock together?" It seems there is some truth in this. The Western Grebes hung out in one group.



And the Common Murres stayed together in another.

Comments

i applaud what yall are doin!
the birds look so good now!
thanks for all the wonderful pics & updates
Anonymous said…
a pal, Donna Sherman, passed this blog along and it made my day...am recovering from knee surgery, and laying low in the damp afternoon of this spectacular fall day here in Forest Hill, Maryland...
i bird when i can...and have had two great birding trips to the west coast...seeing the Western Grebes and Murres brought back memories...good ones...
keep on, keepin' on.
todd holden
TaylorM said…
This work looks amazing. I think, being on the east coast, we see the news reports, but we don't the real feeling of what an oil spill actually does when it happens - or what actual people have to do to clean it up. I can only imagine how hard it is - how painful to see the birds covered in oil - but then how satisfying to see them when they're happy and clean!
Marg said…
You are a hero!
You and everyone else (if I had a clapping smiley gif I would put it here!)

Thank you!
Anonymous said…
Lisa, I am so thankful there are people like you out there. Thank you for all you do. I'm a big supporter of the IBRRC and have been for a few years, and members of my family have "adopted" ducklings because of me. :) You are doing such a wonderful thing and I'm grateful for it.

Popular Posts