Slippery When Wet

...


Shortly after Robb came home from his stay the spinal rehab center, we had "grab bars" installed in our bathtub. We bought a shower chair. And my awesome sister sent us some adorable non-skid decals for the floor of the tub. Robb's balance was very bad, due to his neural damage. Because of the disruption in his spinal cord, his feet were not able to send any useful information to his brain.

His feet would say, "I'm not standing on stable ground!"

His body would decide that based on this information, it would be appropriate for Robb to fall over.

It was awesome.

Or maybe not.

Last September, we went to a letterboxing event in Sacramento. We rented a hotel room, which unsurprisingly did not come with grab bars in the shower. And when Robb would close his eyes to rinse his face, his body would start to fall.

Robb mentioned this to me on the drive home from Monterey on Sunday, because he realized that he was no longer spontaneously tipping over in the shower.

Yes, folks, it is the little things like not toppling over in the shower that bring joy to our lives.

(Newly born baby sea lions are also a pretty good source of joy.)

Comments

Marissa Dupont said…
That must be such a relief! I can't imagine how much soap/shampoo he got in his eyes having to keep them open before! ;)

And that baby sea lion (seal?) is just precious! :)
Gina said…
Yea for stability!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous said…
Okay... I can identify.... sort of! A month ago, I started wearing glasses full time. My arms got too short for me to read anything in my hands! Imagine that! No age related comments, please!!!

Anyway... My distance vision is great...so I have no correction on the upper lenses where I look out to distance. Then they are graduated for correction for the computer and the bottom is transitioned for reading.

Okay... that works out well and good when I am at home or work. HOWEVER... on stairs or on the trails, my eyes deceive me and I seem to trip and fall because I no longer know where my feet are!

Feeling Robs bruises in a smallish way!!!

Bandaid
Anonymous said…
Little steps lead to Bif Events.

Robb IS Doing better.

I couldn't be happier.
Troop 2440 said…
I'm so thrilled to hear about his shower balancing. That's wonderful news!!!!!

Popular Posts