Easter Eggs

...





Every spring, for years and years, I've hosted an egg decorating party. I hosted this party in Baltimore, in Hartford, and the Bay Area.  I've taught friends the traditional craft of wax-resist, which is typical of Easter eggs decorated in Eastern Europe.  When the party grew too large (and messy) to host at my home, I moved it to the studio where I work.





It has always been a joy to teach this craft to my friends.  Even people who are convinced they're not creative end up making wonderful miniature artworks.




Some folks follow traditional forms, while others invent their own forms.




It's lovely to see everyone socializing and making things.




I 'm always impressed by the variety of designs that everyone creates.  Each these eggs were decorated with an entirely different approach, and each is delightful.  There really is no right or wrong way.




I particularly enjoy photographing the eggs, using whatever my friends bring along to the party.




These two eggs were photographed on top of one of the many books I have on this subject.




Isn't this collection splendid?  None of these eggs are what you'd call traditional designs, but they're all wonderfully dynamic.




It's also fun to see the difference in size between the eggs my own hens lay (on the left) and those produced by commercial farms.




I always buy flowers for this party, and they make a nice photo background as well.








This year, sadly, I will not be hosting my annual egg party.  Even if I wanted to decorate eggs at home, I can't. My tools are at work, and the store that sells the dye we use is closed.  I look forward to the time when we can meet and make art together again.


Comments

Anonymous said…
Do you have food dyes in your kitchen? Then you could still dye eggs, less amazing perhaps, but still pleasing. If no food dyes, try curry powder for golden tones, or maybe edible flowers from your yard would produce dyes. In the absence of your usual tools, you can use masking tape or bandage tape for masking designs on them. Or simply draw on un-dyed eggs with felt-tip pens! We used all these techniques (except spices and edible flowers) in my childhood and had tons of fun.

I love seeing your super egg-party eggs and hope you can make them again next year. Meanwhile, you can still create beauty. Best wishes, Gretchen (aka stashdragon)

Popular Posts