The Season's First Butterfly Hatches

...



The entire life cycle of a butterfly is miraculous, but it's the final emergence that makes me want to cry happy tears.  Every. Single. Time. 

Robb and I had been out cycling, and came back to discover that the first of our brood of butterflies had hatched. Her wings were fully unfurled by the time we found her. 




I coaxed her onto my hand, and carried her over to flowers we knew Anise Swallowtail Butterflies fed on. 




She was entirely uninterested in the verbena. 




When I moved her over to the fennel (her host plant), she hopped right off my hand.  




After a few minutes, she flew away.  Watching butterflies that we've nurtured fly off into the world is always a beautiful, magical experience.  

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go rinse my eyes, and find a handkerchief. 
 



Comments

K said…
So very beautiful and touching. Bless you!

I read about a man in San Francisco that has helped repopulate a rare butterfly, and it made me think of you.
http://www.vox.com/2016/7/6/12098122/california-pipevine-swallowtail-butterfly-population

Noreen said…
Wow! So beautiful!

Popular Posts