Vegetable Bed? Sounds Perfect for a Nap!

...



My poor garden.  I was swamped with work all summer, and of course we're still in the midst of a drought. I should have pulled out all my summer plants and put in their autumn replacements. But I'm running horribly behind.

This weekend, Robb and ran out to Pollinate Farm and Garden, our favorite urban farm store.  We picked up a few plants (Victoria rhubarb!!!) and seeds, snuggled the shop cat, and chatted with Birgitt, one of the owners.  It's always a delight to stop in to Pollinate, those ladies know their stuff and the store is cozy and neighborly.

I dug up the vegetable bed, or at least I dug up part of it.  I really need to be ruthless, and just clear the place out.  But I'm a weirdo and tend to leave out-of-place plants in place, which only leads to garden chaos later on. 

Robb and I also went to the native plant sale that benefits Friends of Sausal Creek, a local organization that works to protect that watershed of one of Oakland's creeks.

While there, I got to chatting with some folks from Native Bird Connections, a nearby group that works with non-releasable wild raptors to further awareness of the importance of wild animals in our world.  I'd love to get to know more about this group.

It was a very garden-themed weekend, because in addition to all this, Robb and I went to the Autumn Lights Festival which was a massive art installation that benefited the various gardens around Lake Merritt.  Our friend Sarah Lowe had a particularly lovely piece -- illuminated paper lanterns that resembled gigantic ground-cherries.  Very nice!





Smog, it would seem, finds all this garden activity exhausting.  He would like me to quit mucking around in his dirt, so that he can get back to the serious work of napping.



How about you? Did you do any garden work this weekend?  Or would you like to read about what other gardeners are up to?  (If so, click here.)

Comments

Smog looks pretty laid-back there in that box!
David Velten said…
Victoria is a great rhubarb. I once had a plant but it didn't survive the pine tree roots invading its space.
Daphne Gould said…
Aww what a cute kitty.

Popular Posts