Hello? Hello? Anybody Home?

...



Gracious!  It has been over a month since I've written anything on the blog.  I've been drowning in work, and just a bit too tired to collect my thoughts.  And, of course, the more time that elapses, the more there is to write about, and the more overwhelmed I feel by it all.

So, what's been going on?  We've been cranking out theatrical scenery at a furious pace at work.  We've been working on the garden, visiting garden centers, going on garden tours with our neighbors, and hanging out with friends.  To be honest, the last month feels like a bit of a blur.

So why am I showing a photo of our late tomcat, Mister Furdusi?

Well, because he looks so very splendid, lounging on the windowsill in the bathroom of our old apartment.  And because the time has come to think about green bathrooms. 




When I was in art school, I went through a phase where I was fascinated by a very particular combination of pink and green.  I started noticing it everywhere, and I just adored how it looked.




It turns out that this was a wildly popular color combination in bathrooms of a certain age. 



This was a time when people were FEARLESS with color.  How about that floor?  (That white sink and toilet are clearly later additions.)



Lately, when I'm really tired and stressed out, I unwind by spending some time trawling Pinterest.  There's something very soothing about immersing one's self in a sea of beautiful pictures.  (And there's So Much Weird Stuff there as well.)  When I can't muster the energy to work on my own vintage bathroom, I can always amuse myself by doing some virtual window-shopping.  (That's another nice floor.)



Robb and I periodically drop by the local architectural salvage places, to see what kind of bathroom fixtures are on sale.  Our current sink is vintage, but cracked.  We've been tormenting ourselves by looking at lovely colored bathroom sets.



The problem with shopping for vintage fixtures is that they have to be bought in sets, if you want the color to match.  And those sets inevitably include beautiful, expensive, and utterly gigantic bathtubs.

Bathtubs that couldn't possibly fit into our microscopic bathroom.  Bathtubs that they won't let you not buy.




Trust us on this.  We've examined every possible option, and unless we want to start ripping out walls, and reconfiguring rooms (which we don't) there's no way to fit one of these massive tubs into our tiny bathroom.

So, I was pretty danged excited when I got a text message from my friend Sarah, alerting me to the fact that one of the local salvage places was selling a green toilet and sink. Without the tub.




This is pretty much my Bathroom Fixture Dream Come True.  And, yes, I do actually dream about bathroom fixtures.  Mayhem and Architecture, that's the usually programming in Lisa Dreamland.

Since Robb and I weren't prepared to install these beauties right away, we dragged them into the laundry room for the time being.  This took a lot of strategy and trust.  Robb is strong, but has all sorts of issues with balance and walking.  Massive chunks of antique porcelain are heavy and frightfully slick. We moved these with the care that Art Handlers might use, if one of them were paraplegic.

We weren't planning on doing any major work on our bathroom this summer, but it seems as if we may be tackling this project sooner than we had anticipated.  I think I may be teaching myself to lay tile.  And because I'm OBSESSED with pattern, you KNOW I won't be doing a simple layout.




The sink looks a bit drunk, doesn't it?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Frank (Grumpy) grew up in a house built in the early 50's. The main bathroom featured pink and sea foam green tiles throughout. The house was renovated about 6 years ago and the old pink fixtures and tiles were removed. He kept samples of the tiles for several years, hanging on to his youth.

Grinch
Marmalade said…
I about disowned my parents when they remuddled our beautiful black and flamingo pink tiled vintage bathroom.
Anonymous said…
The house I'm in now was built in 1961 and had a blue bathroom. Blue sink, tub, toilet, tile and walls. Only the counter top was different and it was that gold specked white laminate that was so popular. I replaced it with a light grey tub and toilet, black and white tile with a decorative trim and wood cabinets. My Mom's house down the street, built in 1964 has the exact same bathroom color. And just this week she is replacing the white/gold counter top in the kitchen. Love how color and pattern go in and out of fashion.

Judithandsparky
Noreen said…
Oh my....very cool! my childhood bathroom had the pink wall tile and floor tiles, with some black accents, but the builder wimped out and used white fixtures.

I love rejuvenation.com for vintage porcelain light fixtures, cup holders, etc. I've ordered from them a number of time and always been well-satisfied, even though there don't ever seem to be any sales. Sigh.
spencer said…
Score! Yours are a great shape and shade of green. We're still in the considering-all-possibilities phase of bathroom reno - appreciate the inspiration!
Anonymous said…
Very cool! I myself am in the market for a turquoise sink and so far I have not found one at the local ReStore, which is about my only option. You mentioned pinterest - if you haven't already, check out retrorenovation.com, they have a lot of useful info and a lot of cool pics...
Astro D

Popular Posts