P is for...

...


Plums and Precarious

Today I harvested what looks to be the last of our plums.  While Robb steadied me, I climbed up on a rickety ladder, and picked the plums that were over-hanging the chicken coop.  These last plums were a bit too ripe to eat, and so we started the process of brewing plum wine.




Pits and Proportions

Our plums are a cling-stone variety (almost surely Santa Rosa), and so I cut the fruits in thirds, slicing on either side of the pit.  I chucked the sliced fruit into a jelly-bag and smooshed the juice out with my hands.  I like to think of this as the small-scale version of stomping on wine grapes.

We harvested about twenty pounds of plums today, and used around thirteen in this recipe.




Pomace and Patience

I hung the jelly bag over the frame for my vintage chinoise, and squeezed and squeezed.  I then transferred the pomace (that's the skins and pulp) to a sieve, to let it strain some more.

The pits and pulp will be given to our poultry.  They can't crack the pits, so it isn't poisonous.



Potential and Potency

We made our first batch of plum wine almost exactly a year ago.  And today we transferred it from the glass carboy into actual wine bottles.  We took the opportunity to have a taste, and to test the specific gravity, or alcohol content (13%).  Although a bit rough or raw, the wine is quite tasty.  It's plummy, and pleasantly dry.  We also tried our young mead today.

Ptooey! Premature!

Comments

Lisa said…
Potential and Potency is a little-known erotic novel by Jane Austen.
Kristin said…
Love the alliteration and the plum wine sounds might fine. Can't wait to hear how the mead tastes.
Lynne Rutter said…
ha!

wow the plums int eh basket are pretty color
Lisa B. said…
I can't wait until we have plums and grapes to brew up some wine!

Your plums look delicious!
Andrea said…
Sounds like a fun experience making plum wine..........Iv'e only made jam before with mine.
Liz said…
I made plum vodka with some of mums crop this year. Well I added plums and sugar to some vodka and let it sit for ages. I really love it. Now I need to try plum wine - sounds a lot of fun.
Anonymous said…
I sure would be interested in more wine making how tos. I have plums and apricots, but no equiptment. I experimented with quartered apricots, sugar, and water in a 1/2 glass jar last year. Like to hear more about your methods. Yours had better clarity.
Anonymous said…
That looks amazing. That's what's great about growing your own.... you get to be creative with how to use it all up :)

Popular Posts