Chicken Lips

... 




About a week ago, I noticed that our pullet Harriet's beak looked a little crooked.  And then a few days later, the tip of her beak was missing.




I can't imagine what happened, that would have damaged her beak.  It looks like the top layer is gone, but that there's a bit still remaining.




Harriet can eat just fine, but she does seem to be a bit less spunky than usual.

What I don't know is if the beak will grow back, stay the same, or continue to fall off.  Should I worry about this, or not?

Comments

Kristin said…
Don't worry they grow back.

Once we had a flock in which we had to clip all the chickens' beaks because they were pecking at each other to point of drawing blood; and they will cannibalize a chicken that has an open wound.

Anyway, we snipped their beaks and they ate just fine and they couldn't hurt one another, but once they grew back we had the problem again.

I'm not sure why that happened to your chicken though.
jess s said…
some light reading on the subject:
http://www.mypetchicken.com/backyard-chickens/chicken-help/Today-I-noticed-that-the-tip-of-one-hens-beak-H152.aspx

Popular Posts