Why, Butterfly?





I know I had some good reason for leaving the top off the butterfly rearing tank ajar.

But, at the moment, when I have a transforming caterpillar tethered to my wall, I can't remember what I was thinking.

I figure I'll let the caterpillar shed its skin and then I'll carefully cut it off the the wall.  I'm too worried about damaging the animal, while it is re-assembling its insides, to take any action right now.

This is normal, right?  You all have caterpillars stuck to the walls of your house, don't you?

Comments

Amy Marr said…
I dunno, I think it's pretty. And much better than the cobwebs I have in my house. ;)
Amy Marr said…
I dunno, it's certainly prettier than the cobwebs I have in my house.... ;)
Barby said…
At least it is a pretty caterpillar!
LOL, I wish, and yes, I think it's perfectly normal ;)
Anonymous said…
Caterpillars are better than bunnies--dust bunnies!
ArtGekko said…
Not on the walls at the moment, but we do have 4 monarch caterpillars in the caterpillar cage! :)
Anonymous said…
I used to when I was a kid/teen. All over my room, behind furniture, on books. I would come home to two butterflies floating about my room. LOL

Just leave it. It needs to emerge upright, not lying on the bottom of a tank so its wings can unfold and dry properly. Otherwise it's dead.

Keep watching it - a couple of days before it emerges, the 'skin' will become transparent and you will be able to see the butterfly inside. When it hatches, carefully carry it outside - they're not hard to catch.

(And I love your blog, btw.)

~ Birgitt
Cinderellen said…
FWIW I would not have the heart to cut it down either. Your garden is looking great - so lush and productive compared to where you started.

Popular Posts