Meanwhile ... Back at the Lab

...



As a treat to myself, I signed up to participate in the yarnapalooza known as Interweave Labs. This is a four-day textile symposium, with classes taught by a pantheon of designers and historians.

I spent the last day on the southwestern coast of Sweden, some time before the 21st Century. I studied Bohus knitting techniques (beautiful garments, great teacher, infuriating process), as well as the knitting culture of the Halland region of Sweden. As part of the class, we knit mittens on teeny-tiny kitting needles. Toothpicks, really.

Halfway through morning session of the class, we were joined by Eunny Jang, editor of Interweave Knits, and Undisputed Knitting Goddess. She stayed for the morning, and part of the afternoon session. The class was fascinating. Carol Rhoades who taught was well-informed, engaging, and really fun.

We all chugged away on our little knitting swatches. About halfway into the afternoon session, Eunny excused herself. She had a conference to attend to. On her way out the door, she waved her perfectly finished mitten at us.



WHAT ? ! ? !



The rest of us had accomplished a few inches of knitting, and this rockstar had left us to eat her dust.

Comments

I consider myself a competent knitter, but mostly have restricted myself to Aran knitting. My grandmother though could knit anything, and probably as fast as your instructor. I was always a little in awe, and a whole lot jealous and frustrated that I couldn't knit that fast. I can't even multitask while knitting, and my grandmother could stand in line at the grocery, holding a conversation, and knitting at the same time. I'm just not in the same league LOL. Your class sounds like it was a lot of fun though! Can't wait to see your finished mitts ;)
Anonymous said…
Hi Lisa and Robb,
I just wanted to say that it was nice to meet you today for our little walk on the beach. Please let me know when you would like to come for a visit at the distillery. I would love to give you a tour. Your hops are beautiful, by the way.
-Kendra
Nataline said…
I saw a video of Eunny demonstrating some knitting technique online and was stunned at how fast she knits. If only...
mamakin said…
Hi guys! I'm so jealous you got to be "owned!" by one of the greats! It sounds like you had a blast. I love the look of the blog too - shows you how long it's been since I've visited lol. Happy Holidays <3

Popular Posts