Home Sweet Home

...



Slowly, slowly Robb and I are working on our house. We've been going to estate sales, from time to time, and this weekend we brought home a few gems.

This oak display table was a happy find. I suspect that it was sold as a flat-pack kit some time in the early 20th Century. You thought Ikea invented this? Apparently not. Here's a link to photos from a catalog of Mission/Arts and Crafts furniture company, selling flat-packed furniture as far back as 1907.

Whoever originally put the kit together didn't do a very good job, so Robb ever-so-carefully took the table apart and re-assembled it. It's odd to be repairing decades old slap-dashery.




We also found another vintage jug, to add to our modest collection. The solid green jug sits well with its companions.

I re-arranged our jugs, and need to glue them back in place with Museum Wax. In earthquake country, fragile antiques need to be secured.




It only took two years to find a lampshade for our bathroom. At least I didn't have to conk myself on the head to get this one.

And yeah, the walls are still not painted. What can I say? I paint all day long, and am not terribly motivated to scrape paint off my ceilings when I get home from work.

Also, I suck.




Speaking of sucking, we've made damn sure that we'll have a vampire-free kitchen. If the home-grown garlic doesn't deter vampires, we'll fight 'em off with antique sheep-sheers and the world's most vicious cheese-grater.




We were delighted by these cans that once held local honey. The Desert Bloom is from Fresno, and the Floradale was packaged right here in Oakland.

After a day at the estate sales, Robb concluded that he and I have the aesthetic sensibilities of eighty-year-old rich people. What can I say? I'm a very young Little Old Lady.

Comments

BOOTY said…
I seem to have the same taste in decor, I like old things. If I can't get old things, I make them. Which is why I am currently involved in a project to make new, very large doilies from vintage patterns to put in my living room.

~Marie
Carolina said…
That table is really cool. I've never seen anything like it. Also love your collection of jugs.
Gah! That reminds me...I still need to braid my garlic! :P Love the local honey cans, and the bathroom lamp shade is gorgeous!
Kurious Jo said…
We have a grater just like that - it's our main grater. I suppose it's an antique but it comes in handy when you want macro pieces or have lack of patience (who me?). ;-)
Anonymous said…
That log cabin quilt is lovely too!

Doublesaj
Lisa said…
What's odd about this grater is how *gigantic* the holes are. They must be a centimeter across.

What would that be used for, we wonder?
Kristen said…
Any idea what constitutes "fancy" honey? If it's anything like fancy ketchup it's full of high-fructose corn syrup, but somehow I doubt it.
Kristin said…
What fun to attend estate sales together for awesome finds. Your home is looking great. Antiques have quality and character going for them don't they? I love 'em too.
Anne Bonny said…
I love your decorating! I never seem to be able to find anything cool like that around here, or maybe I just don't have the same talent for spotting cool things, that you do :)
Karen Anne said…
Sheep shears...we used to have a tool like that for hand edging in the yard...

Popular Posts