House Cats

...



Lest you get the idea that I'm the only tender-hearted animal-lover around there parts, I want to show you Robb's latest project.

This is a handmade feline shelter, built by Robb out of redwood planks that I literally dug out of our back yard. There isn't a nail or screw anywhere on this project. It's all joinery. The only mechanical fasteners are hand-carved redwood pegs.

Robb has spent a lot of mental and emotional energy, worrying about the local feral cats, and how miserable they must be on cold rainy nights. Over the course of this winter, he's built and re-built a series of kitty-shelters. There were tarps, and also cat-walks to keep the kitties out of the mud. But those all looked pretty janky, and didn't please Robb's aesthetic sensibilities.

We may not have glass in all of our windows, but at least the cats will stay dry.

Robb is a maniac. A cat-loving, wood-working maniac. And I love him for that.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Awwwww! From one couple of cat-lovers to another couple of cat-lovers, thank you both for being so creatively, handily compassionate. I've said it before, what lucky cats!

~~Doublesaj & Old Blue~~
Lyn said…
Awww. Also: Amazing work. The shelter and the tree look lovely.
Gina said…
Gorgeous. Simply gorgeous.
Troop 2440 said…
No wonder you love him so much!!!
Eliza said…
I love cats... but I have to admit that my eye is mostly drawn to that lemon tree. MMMM! I have to grow my citrus indoors. :)
Anonymous said…
HOW FABULOUS! I love it. I expect when you get chickens they will also live in a custom built redwood coop!

I bet Robb could sell those kitty shelters, by the way.

Annalisa
Hutchinson said…
This is a great idea, thanks for posting it. If Robb gets ambitious about making more cat shelters, we (non-carpenters) bought this one online which our ferals have taken to. I'd love to be able to build one myself, but I can't even level a wall hanging to save myself. I envy Robb's skills. And yours. The cool thing about this design is that it keeps the elements out, but is easy to clean because of the removable roof.

(I'm not affiliated with the company, just thought you might be interested in the design, for future ideas.)

http://www.ticknthistle.com/outdoor_cat_shelter/basic_cat_house.htm

Popular Posts