I thought that painting the living room and dining room would be a super-quick job. And apparently I was entirely mistaken in this belief.
First, I really screwed up my neck, while painting the living room ceiling. And when that was better, I had found myself entirely unmotivated to paint my own house. I'm not sure if this was due to the "Cobbler's Children go Barefoot" syndrome, or because it's hard to paint anything after the sun goes down.
Thankfully, I rediscovered my house painting ju-ju, and am well on my way to being finished.
Robb and I made a choice to try to replicate the existing colors of the walls, and we're very pleased with how this is working out. The woodwork looks really luminous, especially in the dining room.
I'm not sure when the walls were painted these colors. Judging from the apparent date of the other big renovations in our little house, these colors could date from the 1950s. The last painters did a pretty sloppy job, and I'm gritting my teeth, and painting over it. This is not the time for a huge ripping-out-of-walls. My goal on this project is to clean things up enough that we can finally settle into the living room and dining room.
Maybe someday we'll pop off the moulding and scrape the paint-covered wallpaper off, and reveal the original plaster, but that day -- if it every comes -- is a long way off.