Flames

...


During the summertime, some people attend theater or opera festivals, some people go to the Junior Livestock Show (always a favorite of mine) or the Tomato Festival. Last night, Robb, Kara and I headed off to the Fire Arts Festival at the Crucible in West Oakland.



There were gigantic flaming serpents.



And their eggs.



One could operate the flames that shot out of the top of the serpent's spines, as Kara is doing in this photo.



Flaming creatures.



That looked pretty darned impressive, even without the fire.

Much of the art was interactive, but perhaps the most amusing part of the festival was a variation on arcade dance games. Dance Dance Immolation was about the craziest and most reckless-seeming part of the evening (and that's saying a lot). Two members of the crowd don flame-proof suits (complete with supplied oxygen) and then follow the dancing direction that are projected in front of them. If they screw up, they get blasted with a huge jet of flame. Of course, things being what they were, the people running the game were also likely to shoot flames at anyone who was too good of a dancer. We could barely tear our eyes from this spectacle.





I ran into a few ghosts from my past, and it was amusing to see that everyone had commissioned their Dorian Grey Portraits from the same artist.

Comments

Anonymous said…
My heart skipped a beat when I saw the title FLAMES and began to scroll...seeing just the top of the first picture! I thought...OH NO...WHAT ELSE!!! Then I read onward and realized that this was another of those off beat things that makes you guys who you are! Hot Stuff!

Bandaid
Anonymous said…
Wow...I am trying to go in order but the photo you left me just commanded attention. What a fabulous and amazing event!
Gina said…
DDDUUUUUDDDDEEEEE!!!!!

I'm passing this on to the thirteen year old techies on my crew next year. And they thought discarded Bic Lighters were fun...
Anonymous said…
ooooooh..... bright shiny fire...

Mesmerizing, isn't it? I wonder how many future pyromaniacs this event inspires? It worked for me!

I'm going to burn the dinner tonight on purpose tonight and call it art!

Annalisa (I like mine well done, please!)
Gothknits said…
That is so friggin' cool!!!

Popular Posts